ICMT was launched in 2007 to foster cutting-edge research in the area of the theory of condensed matter, construed broadly.
All Illinois faculty with interests in condensed matter theory are invited to become members of ICMT.
Visitors to Illinois and Illinois postdoctoral and graduate researchers are also welcome as members of ICMT.
The primary objectives of ICMT are
- to provide support for postdoctoral fellows
- to provide support for graduate students
- to fund long-term and short-term visitors, experimentalists as well as theorists
- to house and support workshops and small conferences
- and to establish a highly interactive research environment that encourages members to take on the most challenging, long-term research issues
ICMT is led by director Eduardo Fradkin, chief scientist Tony Leggett, and an advisory committee, which includes: David Ceperley, Eduardo Fradkin, Nigel Goldenfeld, Todd Martinez, Zan Schulten, and Dale Van Harlingen.
Currently, ICMT is supported by funds generously provided by the Office of the Provost, the Grainger College of Engineering, and the Department of Physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign hosts and helps to fund the ICMT. Here's a look at Illinois by the numbers.