Directions to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Google map of the Hampton Inn, 1200 W. University Ave, Urbana, IL
PDF map of the Hampton Inn & Engineering Sciences Building (ESB), 1101 W. Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL
PDF map showing the highways around Champaign-Urbana, IL
For those not coming by car, the primary options are to fly into Champaign's Willard Airport (CMI), and to fly into Chicago's O'Hare (ORD)
airport, use a commercial shuttle bus service operating between O'Hare and Champaign, or if traveling in a group, renting a limo can be quite economical.
- By plane to the Champaign airport.
The Champaign airport ("University of Illinois Willard Airport", airport code
CMI) is served by American Airlines and located about a 15 minute
drive from the University of Illinois campus. Flying into Champaign is
the most convenient and most hassle-free way to get to the University of
- By plane to Chicago's O'Hare airport.
Flying into Champaign is usually (but not always!) more expensive than flying into Chicago, the closest major airport hub.
If there is a significant difference in airfares, you may want to consider booking a flight into Chicago instead.
To get from Chicago's O'Hare airport to Champaign there are several options:
are commercial shuttle bus lines providing service between Champaign and the Chicago area, including the O'Hare and Midway airports.
Their buses pick up passengers directly at the airport, and they have several drop-off locations in the Champaign-Urbana area,
including the Illinois Terminal, which is also a central location for city busses and taxis.
A trip takes around 3 hours, and typically costs about $70, though costs can vary depending on demand.
has train service between Union Station in downtown Chicago and Champaign. This is less convenient than using one of the
shuttle bus lines as trains are infrequent and one needs to get to downtown Chicago first.
Renting a car in Chicago and driving to Champaign.
Some University visitors prefer this option because of the flexibility it allows.
The car rental adds to the cost, though for groups of three or four it may be more economical than other alternatives.
- Renting a limo and riding to Champaign. For groups of four or more we have used
Starr Limos and Stretch Limo Chicago
and had a good experience with each one.
Driving directions to the Hampton Inn
- From I-74 westbound, take the University Avenue exit and stay on university through town to the hotel.
- From I-74 eastbound, take the Cunningham Avenue Exit. Go right at the end of the exit, and turn right on University Avenue.
- From I-72 take the University Avenue exit and stay on University through town to the hotel.
- There is free parking for guests at the Hampton Inn, which is a ten minute walk
from the Engineering Sciences Building.
- Parking on campus is limited, but rarely a problem near the Engineering Sciences Building.
There are parking spaces on the street outside of the ESB at $1.00 per hour.
Resources and Links